I was one of the lucky people who had the chance to see The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones this past week at the Toronto premiere. I thought the movie was very well done and I’m already counting down the days until the 21st so that I can see it again. Until then, I have put together a short list of 6 differences between the book and movie that can be read on Scene Creek here!
Those who know me are aware that i’m able to read 2-3 books a week with all of my subway travels (if i’m not sleeping). And because of it i’ve been asked to give out recommendations so i’ve started to put together a list of my favourite books and one quote from each that I love. If you have any specific questions about any of the listed feel free to ask and I’d be more then happy to answer but I don’t feel the need to post synopsis’ for all of them when they can be found online. Generally the Sequels, Trilogies and Series books are all YA fiction, however not all are currently complete. The Non-sequel novels I post can range in audience. I will continue to add to this list as I read more books that changed my life.
1. “Someone who thinks death is the scariest thing doesn’t know a thing about life.”
– Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees
2. “We accept the love we think we deserve.”
– Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
3. “Most people lose the ability to see silver linings even though they are always there above us almost everyday.”
– Matthew Quick, The Silver Linings Playbook
4. “Scared isn’t an excuse. Scared is the excuse everyone has used.”
– John Green, Looking For Alaska
5. “You say you’re not special because the world doesn’t know about you, but that’s an insult to me. I know about you.”
– John Green, The Fault In Our Stars
Sequels, Trilogies & Series:
1. “You don’t forget the face of the person who was your last hope.”
Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games Trilogy (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire & Mockingjay)
2. “I like the night. Without the dark, we’d never see the stars.”
Stephenie Meyer, The Twilight Saga (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse & Breaking Dawn)
3. “Declarations of love amuse me. Especially when unrequited.”
Cassandra Clare, The Mortal Instruments (City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls & City of Heavenly Fire)
4. “Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.”
Ally Condie, The Matched Trilogy (Matched, Crossed & Reached)
5. “Becoming fearless isn’t the point. That’s impossible. It’s learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”
Veronica Roth, The Divergent Trilogy (Divergent, Insurgent & Untitled)
6. “And if I have to die trying, I will get out of here.”
Lauren DeStefano, The Chemical Garden Trilogy (Wither, Fever & Sever)
7. “Keep in mind that people change but the past doesn’t.”
Becca Fitzpatrick, The Hush, Hush Saga (Hush, Hush, Crescendo, Silence & Finale)
8. “Every man would fall in love with their voice, their lovely appearance, but no man would ever get past that. They’d never really know the girls for who they actually were, never really love them. It would be impossible for any of the four girls to ever really fall in love and be genuinely loved in return.”
Amanda Hocking, Watersong Series (Wake, Lullaby, Tidal, Elegy)
9. “Sometimes death is really just a metaphor for rebirth. Allowing the old version of one to slip away so that a newer, better, stronger version can stand in it’s place.”
Alyson Noel, The Soul Seekers (Fated, Echo, Mystic & Horizon)
Current Books Waiting on my Book Shelf to be Read:
1. John Green, An Abundance of Katherines
2. Cassandra Clare, The Infernal Devices (Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince & Clockwork Princess)
3. James Dashner, The Maze Runner Series (The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials & The Death Cure) (The Kill Order)
Today I got to meet the author of The Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices, Cassandra Clare. The first instalment of The Mortal Instruments, The City of Bones is currently filming in Toronto. In fact the wrap party is being held tonight with only 3 days until the movie’s set to finish.
I arrived at Indigo at Yorkdale Shopping Centre around 10:40am for a 2:00pm signing. The first two women in line arrived at 7am after driving all the way from Kingston, Ontario. There were also a group of friends in line behind me who drove from Pennsylvania. It was a long day of waiting with Shadowhunters taking over the entire store, not only filling up the space between all the rows of books upstairs but downstairs as well. One women who worked at the store walked around handing out rune tattoos to everyone while others put sticky notes in all of the books that fans wanted to be signed. 1 book from each series was allowed to be personalized but any others would also be signed.
After about a half and hour Q&A with Cassie the book signing started where they took groups of people at a time (approximately 20). Fans were organized by being given a group number. I was 8 but I know it went to at least 23. There was said to have been around 700 people in attendance. Cassandra was incredibly sweet making sure she had time to speak with everyone who waited in line for a few moments before moving on to the next person.